Saturday, August 16, 2008

Christmas

I enjoyed it, but I'm glad it's over. Somehow I didn't get around to shopping online this year, so I actually had to go fight the mobs for three consecutive days to get it all done. On top of that, there were the countless side dishes to bring to various holiday events, cookies we had to make for Santa, the reindeer food to scatter on the front lawn for Rudolph and his entourage, and the task of staying up later than the kids on Christmas Eve so as to sneak their Santa gifts under the tree. This gets harder as the kids get older. Hannah, in particular, couldn't seem to call it a night.

Mom made an enormous spread that, as always, provided more than any of us could possibly consume (we all tried, believe me). She also let Karl and me have a hand in the dumplings, which was both courageous and slightly careless (though it turned out okay in spite of us!).

Now we prepare for the New Year, which for Karl and I will involve staying up as late as we can force ourselves (10pm if we're lucky) and then quietly calling it a night (and a year). Much less exciting than in our younger days, but it has a certain appeal nonetheless.

I hope all of you have a Happy New Year...one filled with family, friends, good books, great coffee, big thoughts, and a great deal for which to be grateful.

No comments: