Saturday, April 11, 2009

What I've learned during the first 17 years that might help me make it through the next 17 or so

Karl and I celebrated 17 years together on April 1. Here are my thoughts on what I've learned so far.

Joint property is a myth. His books are his and must not be dog-eared or held open so widely that “the spine might break.” My French fries are mine. If you want some, order your own.

Personal hygiene practices were not meant to be shared. We do not use the bathroom together or in front of each other. I know couples who do. I do not understand it. Sustaining a romance over the long haul requires a little mystery.

Housekeeping duties WERE meant to be shared. We’ve come a long way since our famous battle of wills over the dishes some 15 years ago, which ended in throwing out our entire stock and buying new ones after maggots invaded. Long story. We do better now.

Learn to be a good passenger. If you can’t, at least learn to be direct in your nagging. Karl’s “GOOD GOD B!” comes and goes quickly, and then it’s over. When I bury my nagging in sarcasm, it always leads to an argument: “Is there a reason you’re not braking until you’re within two inches of that bumper? Are you, like, testing them to see if they’ll work in the event we need to go from 60 to 0 in 2 seconds?”

Cook together. It took us many years to get to this one, but it’s done wonders.

You don’t have to share every interest, but the interests you share should at least complement each other. My evenings spent kickboxing in the living room did not go well with his evenings practicing lectio divina.

Make room for conversations that have nothing to do with the children. Our late nights spent discussing the merits of a movie or book remind us that we were once people who could think intensely about things that had nothing to do with how to manage this week’s soccer practices or what we should plan for the next birthday party.

6 comments:

GreatGirl said...

I love this one. Congrats.

mindmatters said...

We both got a big kick out of these words.

B. said...

I want to hear Jennifer's "top 10 rules for managing life within driving distance of a meddling mother," and Dad, you can do "top 10 ways to make sure you excercise when you'd rather eat a pint of ice cream." Those sound fun. Come on.

GreatGirl said...

I'm on my assignment. Do I have to limit it to a list of 10?

Bdwallhai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GreatGirl said...

Riiggghhhtt....Who's counting?